Monetary Penalty Calculator
What are monetary penalties?
A monetary penalty is a sanction under the Safety Standards Act, which aims to influence behaviour change and increase the level of participation in the safety system.
When could I face monetary penalties?
Technical Safety BC safety managers may impose monetary penalties on people who fail to comply with the regulations laid out in the Safety Standards Act.
How much will I have to pay?
Technical Safety BC may issue monetary penalties up to a maximum of $100,000.
In practice, there are several factors that safety managers consider before imposing monetary penalties. These include:
- Previous enforcement actions under the Safety Standards Act for contraventions of a similar nature
- The extent of the harm, or of the degree of risk of harm, to others as a result of the contravention
- Whether the contravention was deliberate
- Whether the contravention was repeated or continuous
- The length of time during which the contravention continued
- Any economic benefit derived by the person from the contravention
Monetary Penalties Calculator
These criteria are incorporated into our online calculator which is used by safety managers to determine what penalties must be paid. We have also made our Monetary Penalties Calculator available online to encourage transparency and to enable everybody to understand the potential cost of non compliance.
View the Monetary penalty Calculator.