Information Bulletin: Design registration requirements for static pressure equipment used in oil and gas activity settings
The Safety Standards Act and Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Refrigeration Safety Regulation requires design review and CRN registration of boilers, pressure vessels, pressure fittings, and pressure piping for pressure equipment.
The Safety Standards Act is not applicable to the following equipment that is used in the operation of, or in connection with a “pipeline” or “facility” as those are defined in the Oil and Gas Activities Act:
- Gas systems and equipment
- Pressure piping, other than pressure piping that forms part of power plant boiler external piping that is within the scope of ASME B31.1 Power Piping Code
- Refrigeration systems and equipment
If the Safety Standards Act is not applicable, design registration is not required under the Safety Standards Act and is therefore not enforced by Technical Safety BC.
If the BC Oil and Gas Commission (BCOGC) requires Technical Safety BC registration of pressure piping design(s), Technical Safety BC will accept these design registration submissions. BCOGC will be the enforcement authority for any design registration requirements in these circumstances.
If the Safety Standards Act does not apply and the BCOGC does not require design registration, a company may decide to register their pressure piping design. Technical Safety BC will accept all design registration submissions in this category.
For certainty, Technical Safety BC requires design registration for the following pressure equipment that is within the scope of the Safety Standards Act and Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Refrigeration Safety Regulation at all pipelines and facilities regardless of any OGC requirements (i.e., the Safety Standards Act always applies):
- Unfired and Fired Pressure vessels constructed to ASME Section VIII
- Power boilers constructed to ASME Section I
- Heating boilers constructed to ASME Section IV
- Power piping constructed to ASME B31.1
- Pressure fittings subject to CSA B51
- Environmental refrigeration systems (e.g., HVAC) constructed to CSA B52 and ASME B31.5
For information regarding the Technical Safety BC design registration process, please visit:
Please email design registration enquiries to the following address:
Tom Ng, P.Eng
Safety Standards Act
Oil and Gas Activities Act
Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation
Safety Standards General Regulation
Safety Standards Act Repeal and Transitional Provisions Regulations
Memorandum of Understanding between the BC OGC and BCSA