Carbon monoxide exposure from incorrect installation of propane-fueled water heater



Reference number
II-1047379-2020 (#18948)

Location: Tulameen

Regulated industry sector: Gas - Propane system


Injuries: 2

Injury description: Two individuals deceased

Injury rating: Fatal

Incident rating: Severe

Incident overview

Two individuals were found inside a shower building on a recreational property unresponsive. The building was equipped with a propane-fueled on-demand tankless water heater. The water heater was installed inside a small shower building. The heater vented combustion products into the building where it also received its combustion air supply, producing high levels of carbon monoxide as the combustion air was consumed.

Attachment Size
18948-1047379 Tulameen 2020-08-24.pdf 2.18 MB