Cracked heat exchanger on residential furnace results in carbon monoxide exposure

Persona

Technologies

Technologies
Reference number
5612651

Incident overview

A cracked heat exchanger on a residential furnace resulted in levels of Carbon Monoxide
inside of home.

Regulated industry sector

Gas

Location

Sparwood

Investigation conclusions

Site, system and components

A gas fired furnace located in the basement providing heat for a two storey residential home. Gas burners operate under a heat exchanger, the products of combustion pass through the heat exchanger and up the venting system to exit to the outdoors.

Failure scenario(s)

The furnace heat exchanger was found to have a hole in it, also it was found that the vent piping was no longer glued securely to the concentric vent kit before exiting out the side wall.

Facts and evidence

Fortis gas technician attended the site on February 8, 2017 and was getting readings of 500 PPM CO at the front door. Home was aired out until 0 PPM, technician entered home to the furnace location and cycled the furnace on where he immediately got readings of 500 PPM CO by the concentric vent kit exiting the side wall. The furnace was red tagged and taken out of service. A registered gas contractor from Fernie was hired to look at furnace and was found that the heat exchanger had a hole in it and that the vent piping was no longer glued securely to the concentric vent kit.

Impact

  • Injury
    • Qty injuries: 1
    • Injury description: One person sent to Hospital for carbon monoxide exposure
    • Injury rating: Moderate
  • Damage
    • Damage description: None
    • Damage rating: None

Incident rating

Moderate

Attachment Size
ga_5612651.pdf 165.75 KB