Directive: Elevating devices contractor's mandatory maintenance unit list submission requirements
This Directive is being issued by a provincial safety manager pursuant to section 30 of the Safety Standards Act.
This Directive replaces Directive D-L40512061. Under the Elevating Devices Safety Regulation, licensed elevating device contractors are required to submit a list to the provincial safety manager that details the elevating devices that they have currently have under mandatory maintenance contracts.
This applies to all licensed elevator contractors with class A, RA, MR, H and M licences. The submission of the maintenance contract list is also a requirement for renewal of the contractor’s licence.
- Pursuant to section 7 and 8 of the Elevating Devices Safety Regulation, it is hereby directed that all licensed elevating devices contractors of class A, RA, MR, H and M must submit a current list of all elevating devices in respect of which the contractor is under contract to perform mandatory maintenance.
- The attached excel spreadsheet must be populated with the following information with respect to each elevating device:
- Contractor License #
- Maintenance Contractor Name
- Site Street Address
- Number of Maintenance Visits per year
- BCSA Unit ID #
For Class MR and M Contractor only:
The Class MR and M Contractor must have a contract in place with a Class A Contractor incorporating a minimum semi-annual examination frequency and support for the work that is outside the scope of the MR and M Licence. In the excel spreadsheet, for the Maintenance Contractor Name please provide the name of the Class A Contractor. For the Number of Maintenance Visits per year, please indicate the examination frequency of the Class A Contractor.
- The excel spreadsheet must be submitted electronically and emailed to the British Columbia Safety Authority (email address: Mandatory.Maintenance@safetyauthority.ca) no later than March 31, 2010 and within a 12 month period every year thereafter.
- Any changes in the maintenance contract list must be submitted to the BCSA according to Part 1 (a) and (b) of this directive within 3 business days.
Janice Lee, P.Eng.
Provincial Safety Manager, Elevating Devices
Elevating Devices safety regulation
Division 3 — Contractor's License
General duties of a licensed elevating device contractor 7 A licensed elevating device contractor must
- maintain a current list of the elevating devices in respect of which the contractor is under contract to perform mandatory maintenance,
- provide a copy of the list required in paragraph (a) to a provincial safety manager, and
- within 3 business days, notify a provincial safety manager of any changes to the list required under paragraph (a).
Requirements for obtaining or renewing contractor's license
8 In order to obtain or renew a contractor's license the applicant must provide the following:
- a list of the units maintained by the contractor under mandatory maintenance program contracts;
- identification of the frequency of mandatory maintenance of each unit.
B.C. Reg. 101/2004 Elevating Devices Safety Regulation