Directive: Qualification of Pressure Welders
**IMPORTANT: Changes to the pressure welder program will come into effect on December 3, 2019. Learn more...
This directive is being issued to set out the requirements for an individual to be qualified to perform pressure welding in accordance with the Safety Standards Act (the Act) and B.C. Regulation 104 / 2004 Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation (BPV Regulation). The term pressure welder includes a pressure welder operator.
The scope of this directive is applicable to pressure welding that is performed to pressure equipment that falls under the scope of the Act and regulations.
Prior to 2004, section 16 of B.C. Regulation 82 / 1999 Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation required that only a person who holds a pressure welder’s certificate or a valid pressure welder’s performance qualification log book may perform pressure welding related to the construction, installation, repair or alteration of equipment to which the Act applies.
In the year 2004, B.C. Regulation 82 / 1999 was repealed and B.C. Regulation 104 / 2004 Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation (BPV Regulation) was deposited. Section 7 of the BPV Regulation introduced a pressure welder certificate of qualification and a pressure welder’s performance log book was no longer referenced in the Regulation.
Despite the changes made to the Regulation in 2004, BCSA continues to accept individuals who hold a valid pressure welder’s certificate or a valid pressure welder’s performance qualification log book to perform pressure welding.
2) Implementation of a Pressure Welder Certificate of Qualification
BCSA is implementing a process that will enable qualified individuals to apply for and receive a pressure welder certificate of qualification that will be issued by a provincial safety manager.
Until such time that BCSA implements a process for the issuance of a pressure welder certificate of qualification, an individual shall meet the requirements set out in this directive to perform pressure welding.
3) Testing of Pressure Welders
An individual applying for a pressure welding qualification must have successfully completed a welder performance qualification test that meets the requirements of CSA B51 Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Pressure Piping Code and ASME Section IX Welding, Brazing and Fusing Qualifications.
The testing of pressure welders shall be documented on a Welder Performance Qualification record (WPQ record) that meets the requirements of ASME Section IX. The WPQ record shall be certified by the individual that administered the test.
The testing of pressure welders shall be performed under the supervision and control of an organization that is recognized by a provincial safety manager which includes the following:
- an organization that holds a valid BCSA Certificate of Recognition for the testing of pressure welders, or
- an organization that holds a valid BCSA Contractor License with a Quality Control Program that includes controls for the qualification of pressure welders, or
- any other organization that has been accepted by a provincial safety manager
Alternatively, a Boiler Safety Officer may administer the testing of a pressure welder.
4) Qualification of Pressure Welders for each welding process
A pressure welder shall be qualified for each welding process that is to be used for regulated work. A pressure welder that is qualified to weld in accordance with one registered WPS is also qualified to weld in accordance with other registered WPS’s, using the same welding process and within the essential variables of ASME Section IX.
5) Eligibility Requirements to apply for Qualification as a Pressure Welder
Individuals who wish to apply for qualification as a pressure welder are required to meet the following training and work experience requirements and to pass an examination:
Training and work experience requirements:
- The applicant must provide evidence of training and work experience that meets at least one of the following requirements:
- certificate of qualification as a Level A or B welder (with or without a Red Seal Endorsement) that has been issued by the Industry Training Authority (ITA), or
- certificate of qualification as a Welder with a Red Seal Endorsement that has been issued by the ITA, or
- other training and work experience that has been accepted in writing by a provincial safety manager
Note: an individual that holds a certificate of qualification as a Level C welder issued by the ITA is not eligible to apply to BCSA for qualification as a pressure welder.
- The individual must successfully pass a welder performance qualification test in accordance with section 3 of this directive.
6) Application for qualification as a Pressure Welder
An individual may apply for qualification as a pressure welder by submitting the following to BCSA, as applicable:
- a completed BCSA form number FRM-0802 Registration of Welding Performance Qualification
- payment of the required fees
- a Welder’s Log Book that was issued to the individual by the ITA
- evidence of training and work experience
- a completed and certified WPQ record
- any other documentation that may be requested by a provincial safety manager
7) Expiry of Pressure Welder performance qualifications
The welder performance qualifications of an individual, for each welding process, shall expire when the individual has not welded with that specific process during a period of six (6) months or more.
In order to maintain the validity of each welder performance qualification held, the individual shall have performed welding with that specific welding process at least once every six (6) months.
The welding shall be performed by the individual under the supervision and control of an individual or organization that is recognized by a provincial safety manager in accordance with section 3 of this directive.
8) Renewal of an expired welding qualification
Renewal of an expired qualification requires re-testing for that process in accordance with paragraph QW-322.2 of ASME Section IX.
A successful test renews the individual’s previous qualifications for that welding process for those materials, thicknesses, diameters, positions and other variables for which the individual was previously qualified.
Provincial Safety Manager, Boilers