Furnace heat exchanger failure produced measurable amounts of CO inside home
Regulated industry sector: Gas - Natural gas system
A residential furnace heat exchanger failed, which produced high levels of carbon monoxide (CO). Redundant safety features (flame rollout switch, air proving switch) failed to control the hazard. This resulted in carbon monoxide exposure inside the home.
This incident investigation formed part of our report on Carrier gas furnaces. For more information, download the full report.