High levels of carbon monoxide produced after heat exchanger failure and safety switch bypass



Reference number
II-997950-2020 (#16924)

Location: Surrey

Regulated industry sector: Gas - Natural gas system

Incident overview

A natural gas furnace in a residential home produced elevated levels of carbon monoxide. A safety switch was intentionally bypassed on the appliance allowing its continued operation and allowing carbon monoxide to enter the occupied space.

This incident investigation formed part of our report on Carrier gas furnaces. For more information, download the full report.