Information Bulletin: Notice of Railway Works / Construction or Alteration of Railway Works
Topic: This bulletin provides guidance regarding a provincial railway’s obligations when commencing any construction or alteration of a railway.
Introduction: The processes for construction or alteration of railway works for railways within British Columbia are defined in Part 3 of the Railway Act (BC), Railway Safety Act (Canada), and Notice of Railway Works Regulation. Each provincial railway is required to meet the obligations set out by the above legislation and submit the required information to Technical Safety BC before commencing any construction or alteration of railway works.
Details: Each submission to Technical Safety BC must adhere to the following requirements:
- As required by section 24 and 25 of the Railway Act (BC) the railway must submit a plan for the construction, extension, or alteration of any works to the Minister, through Technical Safety BC by submitting the requirements detailed below to email@example.com.
- The required information must be submitted to Technical Safety BC at least 60 days before the proposed date of commencement of the proposed railway works, and set out the period (not less than 60 days), during which objections may be filed as per section 4 of the Notice of Railway Works Regulation.
- Each submission must contain the following information as required under the Notice of Railway Works Regulation:
- a drawing showing the location of the proposed works;
- a description of the proposed works with general plans, including elevations of proposed structures;
- a description of any impact that the proposed works may have on the safety of persons and property; and
- the proposed date of commencement and the projected time for completion of the proposed works.
Please note that all work relating to railway works — including, but not limited to, design, construction, evaluation, maintenance, and alteration — must be done in accordance with sound engineering principles, as required by the Railway Safety Act (Canada). As such, all engineering work relating to railway works must be approved by a professional engineer.
Once Technical Safety BC has received and reviewed your submission, a Railway safety officer will advance the submitted plans to the Registrar of Railway Safety at the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MOTI) for approval.
Once approved, the railway will be notified by Technical Safety BC that the proposed construction or alteration work can commence.
If you have any questions regarding construction or alterations of railways within BC, please contact the Rail Team at: 778 396 2044.
Railway Safety Manager – Arne Vigen
Railway Safety Act
Notice of Railway Works Regulation