Main distribution panelboard in single family dwelling catches fire

Persona

Technologies

Technologies
Reference number
II-2195416-2021 (#20823)

Location: Castlegar

Regulated industry sector: Electrical - Low voltage electrical system (30V to 750V)

Incident overview

A 120/240 volt surge suppressor was installed in the basement area of a single family dwelling. The surge suppressor failed and ignited while providing over-voltage protection, causing a fire that damaged the panelboard. The property owner called 911, manually opened the main breaker, and evacuated the dwelling.

Attachment Size
C 20823-1147517 2021-07-09.pdf 368.06 KB