Pinched line ruptures, ignites gas

Persona

Technologies

Technologies
Reference number
5616737

Incident overview

Over time, the low voltage control wiring for the gas valve had been pinching between the Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing ( CSST) gas line and the shell of the stove cabinet. When it finally broke through the wiring insulation, there was an electrical arch to ground, causing the gas to ignite.

Regulated industry sector

Pinched line rupture

Gas

Location

Quathiaski Cove

Investigation conclusions

Site, system and components

The electrical wiring and oven control gas line are routed through the same channel in the stove cabinet. When the oven is turned on, there is an electrical current sent to the ignition module and in turn opening the gas valve. When the oven reaches temperature, the valve then shuts off. This cycle is repeated until the oven is turned off.

Failure scenario(s)

The occupant was using the stove to cook dinner. When he turned on the oven, he heard a pop down by his feet, when he looked down, he saw flames coming from under the stove. He ran outside and turned off the gas at the propane tank.

Facts and evidence

Evidence shows that the wiring was being pinched between the CSST gas tubing to the oven control valve, and the sharp metal edge of the stainless steel side panel of the stove(see photos). Over time, the insulation on the wiring wore through to the energized conductor and when it arched to ground, it blew a hole in the tubing and ignited the gas, stating the fire.

Impact

burn damage to wiring
Burn damage to wiring
  • Injury
    • Qty injuries: None
    • Injury description: N/A
    • Injury rating: None
  • Damage
    • Damage description: Minimal damage to wiring in the immediate vicinity of the fire
    • Damage rating: Minor

Incident rating

Minor

hole in gas line
Hole in gas line

 

Attachment Size
GA 5617637.pdf 1.37 MB