Portable space heater combined with poor quality conductor termination causes minor damage

Persona

Persona

Technologies

Technologies
Reference number
II-1274965-2021 (#24738)

Location: Hornby Island

Regulated industry sector: Electrical - Low voltage electrical system (30V to 750V)

Incident overview

The occupant of a dwelling noticed a burning smell and light smoke in the living room. The occupant found the source to be a wall receptacle where a portable electric heater was plugged in. The occupant unplugged the heater and called the fire department. A poor conductor termination at the receptacle that had worsened over time caused overheating and melting of the conductor insulation, plastic box, and charring of wood paneling. No one was injured.