Railway Rules Governing Safety Critical Positions: Guidelines for BC’s Heritage Railways
1. Short Title
For ease of reference, this rule may be referred to as the "Safety Critical Position Guidelines".
These rules have been developed pursuant to Section 20 of the adopted provisions from the
Railway Safety Act (Canada).
A "Safety Critical Position" is herein defined as:
1. any railway position directly engaged in operation of trains in main track or yard service; and
2. any railway position engaged in rail traffic control.
Any person performing any of the duties normally performed by a person holding a Safety Critical
Position, as set out in section 3 above, is deemed to be holding a Safety Critical Position while
performing those duties.
4. Records to be kept by Company
Each railway company shall:
1. maintain a list of all occupational names or titles which are governed by this rule;
2. maintain a list of the names of all employees qualified to serve in Safety Critical Positions;
3. make all such records related to this rule available to Railway Safety Inspectors of the British
Columbia Safety Authority upon reasonable request.