Snowboarder loses balance and falls over conveyor belt
A snowboard passenger was riding up conveyor lift. The passenger fell off to the side of conveyor lift half way up, causing snowboard to twist the riders left leg.
Regulated industry sector
Passenger Ropeway – Surface Ropeway
Site, system and components
A passenger conveyor is a lift designed to transport skiers and snowboarders uphill, while standing on a flexible moving element (conveyor belt). Passengers are instructed to remain standing at all times. Snowboarders must remove their back foot from the binding. To keep snow and elements of weather off of the conveyor belt, covers are placed on top of the belt while not in operation. Covers are placed to the side of the conveyor while in operation.
The passenger attempted to grab one of the covers adjacent to the conveyor, and lost his balance causing them to fall over, resulting in the reported injury.
Facts and evidence
As reported by the duty holder:
- A snowboard Instructor standing 10m behind witnessed the snowboard passenger holding onto conveyor cover.
- Covers were placed adjacent to the conveyor (see attached photos).
- Lift fully loaded with passengers at time of incident.
- Incident occurred mid-way up conveyor.
- Lift attendant stopped lift once passenger fell.
Causes and contributing factors
It is very likely that the passenger attempting to hold onto a conveyor cover caused the passenger to fall and sustain the reported injury.
- Qty injuries: 1
- Injury description: Lower left leg pain – possible fracture
- Injury rating: Moderate
- Damage description: None
- Damage rating: None