We set out this year to increase the effectiveness of our safety hazard assessments and improve client, stakeholder and public experience in order to increase Connection to the safety system.
Using artificial intelligence to assess risks on many of our permit classes allows for the most efficient use of our safety officers' time by providing them with insight on the assessments that are most likely to reveal a High Hazard (levels 3, 4, and 5). In 2019 we were able to achieve:
- 18% increase in as-found hazards rated level 3, 4, and 5 identified in Q4 2019 compared to Q4 2018
- 19.9% increase in as-found hazards rated level 3, 4, and 5 identified and addressed in Q4 2019 compared to Q4 2018
- 117.7% increase in as-found hazards rated level 3, 4, and 5 identified, addressed, and published in Q4 2019 compared to Q4 2018
We also conducted eight sample plans to acquire data in areas where we have limited knowledge:
- Electrical contractor audit
- Two elevating device contractor audits
- Gas machine learning pilot
- Gas class 1 Industrial/ Commercial facilities
- Rail fee impact
- Wood dust generating facilities
- Elevating devices using Greater Victoria contractors
All plans achieved a target completion rate of 80% of the physical inspections performed on the sample population.
To understand our clients and stakeholders better, we embarked on the construction of a pilot market model that enables us to measure our impact on the electrical safety system through permit transactional volumes. By understanding the natural growth of the market, we were able to measure a cumulative 5.21% volume increase in Electrical Operating Permits year-over-year. We also developed a new metric, Presence, which measures the awareness of the broadest population of relevant individuals and organizations, and helps us understand their perception of us. We aimed for improvement in both areas, and through campaign activity and customer experience improvements were able to see overall gains in the combined Presence metric of 31% year-over-year. We also tested Client Relationship Management system capabilities to better segment our clients and deliver more relevant programs and communications in the years ahead.
To support a culture of safety for our own employees and our clients, we introduced Aware360, a mobile solution that enables employees to check in/out while they are engaging in higher risk activities or during hazardous situations, including working alone or in remote locations.