Asset Owner Responsibilities

There are four main areas of responsibility asset owners have for their equipment. They are: design/purchase; installation; operation and maintenance; sale and disposal.

Design and Purchase

Newly built equipment or equipment from outside of BC must be approved before being installed or operated. Similarly, if you intend to build new equipment, the design must be registered before you begin.


Installation permits are likely required prior to operating if you are installing:

  • Electrical products
  • Boilers, refrigeration systems or pressure vessels
  • Regulated equipment, piping, or appliances that work with natural or manufactured gas
  • Passenger ropeways, elevating or amusement devices *

Elevating devices, Passenger Ropeways and Amusement Devices require an acceptance inspection before operating.

Find a qualified contractor in your area to install your equipment.

NOTE: Electrical and Gas operating permit holders can obtain installation permits for limited scope work. Refer to electrical or gas installation permits for more information.

Operation and Maintenance

Regulated equipment requires an operating permit.

NOTE: Electrical operating permits require that you name the Field Safety Representative (FSR) hired to maintain your equipment.

Only qualified individuals* can maintain regulated equipment. They are responsible for:

  • Technical safety inspection
  • Operation and maintenance requirements
  • Ensuring work records are kept up to date

* Please review the General Requirements & Information (found on the back of an Operating Permit) for more information.

Sale and Disposal 

To avoid receiving yearly invoices and being responsible for fee payments on operating permits, you must inform Technical Safety BC when you sell or dispose of regulated equipment. Please complete and submit the Declaration of Status Change All Technologies form.

By providing Technical Safety BC with new owner information, we can ensure that ownership information on operating permits is kept current.


Was this page useful to you?