Apply now to transition to a class A pressure welder certificate of qualification
If you are currently working as a pressure welder in BC or hold a current BCP-100 certificate, you must apply to transition to a class A certificate of qualification before December 3, 2020. If you apply before this date, you will not be required to pay any fee if you fulfill the eligibility requirements.
We realize during COVID-19 it may be difficult to prove your continuous performance requirements for this transition to class A certification.
If you apply by August 31, 2020, we will give you additional time after the December 3, 2020 deadline to meet your class A continuous performance requirements.
Reminder: Becoming a certified pressure welder is a regulatory requirement
The Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation section 5(3)(a) states: “an individual must not do pressure welding relating to regulated products under this regulation unless the individual holds a pressure welder's certificate of qualification.”
How to apply
To transition to a class A pressure welder certificate of qualification you will need to:
- Provide a copy of the appropriate pages in your logbook or other evidence demonstrating that you have welded to one of the procedures below at least once every six months since taking the welding performance qualification test:
- SMAW process using E6010 and E7018 electrodes; or
- GTAW & SMAW processes using ER70S and E7018 filler metals.
- Provide a copy of one of the following documents:
- welder certificate of qualification with Red Seal Endorsement issued by Industry Training Authority (ITA); or
- welder level B or A certificate of qualification with or without Red Seal Endorsement issued by ITA; or
- welder trade qualification with or without a Red Seal Endorsement issued by an apprenticeship authority in another jurisdiction of Canada; or
- Canadian credential authorizing the holder to perform pressure welding in another Canadian jurisdiction. This should be equivalent to the regulated work of a pressure welder’s certificate of qualification authorized to perform under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation.
- Submit your application online.
Performing pressure welding as a subcontractor requires a licence
In addition to the certificate of qualification, section 60 of the Regulation has introduced a new contractor’s licence class as of December 3, 2019, class PW. This PW licence is required by all pressure welders who perform pressure welding as a subcontractor for any other licensed contractor that does not have pressure welding in their accepted Quality Control Program.
More information on obtaining and maintaining a class PW contractor licence.