Ask a gas safety officer: I found a gas-fired appliance in very poor condition spilling products of combustion into the home. What should I do?


The Gas Safety Regulation requires a person who finds any appliance or gas equipment beyond repair or in an unsafe condition to place the appliance or gas equipment out of service, and promptly notify a safety officer of its condition and location.

If the initial notification to a gas safety officer is verbal, it must be promptly followed up with a written statement outlining the facts of the situation. This can be done online through:

Alternatively, you can call 1 866 566 7233 and follow the prompts to report an incident or hazard.

For more detailed information, see the information bulletin: Incident and Hazard Reporting – Gas

Share article on