Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer to Use of Code Books For Exams.
Antique show boilers are high pressure steam systems providing the energy to drive the locomotive or traction engine. An Antique Show Boiler Operator (Locomotive) certificate of qualification entitles the holder to operate the equipment named on the certificate.
To get certificate of qualification, all candidates must successfully pass the examination and evaluation process.
To Book an Exam
- Submit completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites; this can be done through our website or to any Technical Safety BC office.
- Check information on exam schedules in Resources section, below.
- Pay fees on receiving call from Technical Safety BC.
- Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- Receive exam confirmation letter by post or email. If you have not received your confirmation letter a week prior to your tentative schedules date please contact Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233.
- Provide evidence, satisfactory to a provincial safety manager, that the applicant has experience in the construction, repair, operation and maintenance of antique show boilers; and
- Satisfy a safety officer that the applicant has a thorough knowledge of:
- the operation of the plant for which the applicant is responsible for; and
- duties and responsibilities of a plant operator.
- Be the owner or designated person responsible for the operation and maintenance of an antique show boiler. Written proof is required.
Recognized courses and course providers
- Safety Standards Act
- Safety Standards General Regulation
- Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation
- Safety orders
- Information bulletins