A boiler safety awareness certificate of qualification entitles the holder to monitor a boiler in any of the following kinds of plants:
- Power plant with a boiler capacity not exceeding 30 m2 of boiler capacity
- Steam heating plant not exceeding 200 m2 of boiler capacity
- Fluid heating plant or low pressure thermal fluid plant not exceeding 500 m2 of boiler capacity
- A low temperature low pressure fluid plant that does not exceed 2,000 m2 of boiler capacity
- An unfired plant not exceeding 1,000 m2 of boiler capacity
Note: The holder of a boiler safety awareness certificate of qualification must be in attendance at the plant in order to monitor the boiler. The holder of a boiler safety awareness certificate of qualification is permitted to shut down the plant or initiate safety procedures only if specifically trained and assigned to perform those tasks.
To get certified, candidates have to successfully pass required exams and complete evaluation. Application for either process can be made at any stage of certification provided all prerequisites have been met.
Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer Use of Code Books For Exams.
To Book an Exam
- Submit completed application form either in person to any Technical Safety BC office, through your online services or via email to Contact@technicalsafetybc.ca
- Check information on exam schedules here.
- Pay fees on receiving call from Technical Safety BC.
- Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- Receive exam confirmation letter by mail or email. If you have not received your confirmation letter a week prior to your tentative schedules date please contact Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233.
- Applicants must pass a 2.5-hour, multiple choice exam with a minimum score of 65%.
To Book an Evaluation
- Submit your completed application for evaluation to any Technical Safety BC office.
- Pay fees upon receiving a call from Technical Safety BC.
Note: Certificate of qualification is issued upon successful completion of certification exams as well as evaluation.
Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.
All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, need to be renewed in order to remain valid.
- Completed a basic boiler plant safety program or other approved technical course; and
- Provide evidence, acceptable to a provincial safety manager, that the applicant has been instructed in safety procedures for the plant that the applicant wishes to work in.
Refer to Safety Regulation for more information.
- Safety Standards Act
- Safety Standards General Regulation
- Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation
- Safety orders
- Information bulletins