**IMPORTANT: A new pressure welder program will come into effect on December 3, 2019. Learn more...
The Welder Performance Qualification test shall be administered by an individual or company possessing a valid certificate of recognition issued by Technical Safety BC.
- Submit completed application form.
- Provide Welder's Log Book issued by the Industry Training Authority (ITA).
- Provide evidence of training and work experience.
- Submit completed and certified Welder Performance Qualification record (WPQ).
- Pay applicable fee.
The application will be reviewed and, if accepted, authorized. The welding log book will be validated within five working days. If you require a shorter processing time, please contact us before submitting your logbook.. The welders log book will be updated by a boiler safety officer to record the accepted WPQ.
Welders Log Book
Pressure welders in BC are required to obtain a Welder's Log Book issued by the Industry Training Authority (ITA). All welder performance qualification tests must be entered into the Welder's Log Book by a Boiler Safety Officer.
The Employment Section of the Welder's Log Book must be signed by the employer at least once in six months. The employment section of the Welders Log Book is used as a “Log” to prove continuity in accordance with the requirements of ASME Section IX, QW-322.1 (a).
If the log book does not verify that the welder has welded with a process for six months, his/her qualifications for that process shall expire.
Submit welder log book and completed WPQ (Qw-484) to any Technical Safety BC office or contact local boiler safety officer to make arrangements to get the WPS entered into the welder's book.
- Journeyman Welder Certificate of Qualification issued by the Industry Training Authority of British Columbia; or
- Registered A or B Level Certificate of Qualification for welding (with or without Red Seal) issued by the Industry Training Authority of British Columbia; or
- Journeyman Welder Certification of Qualification from another jurisdiction.