Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Please see Use of Code Books For Exams.
The certification process for refrigeration and boiler technicians, and power engineers, requires candidates to clear a certification exam as well as an evaluation. Both steps are independent of each other and candidates can apply for either process at any stage, provided all prerequisites have been met.
Certification will be awarded only if the candidate successfully:
- Completes technical education or meets the minimum requirements of particular class of qualification;
- Completes required qualifying time or work experience;
- Applies for evaluation of the above two steps; and
- Successfully clears the relevant certificate of qualification exam(s).
Candidates with Canadian qualifications from outside BC or from another country can refer to details on the certification process here.
For more details, refer to pages pertaining to your particular certification class, which provide details on specific certification requirements.
Book an exam
- Submit the completed application form along with proof that you meet the minimum requirement for that class of exam. Photocopies of proof of qualification are acceptable.
- Make payment. Only applicants who have submitted complete documentation and have passed the review are eligible for the exam. They will receive a call for this step. This can take up to five business days after the receipt of the completed application form.
- Receive your exam confirmation letter by email or mail (depending on preference indicated).
- Sit for your exam (remember to bring government issued photo identification when you write your exam).
- Receive your exam results (by mail or email depending on the preference you have indicated).
We are actively scheduling online exams for electrical, gas, and elevating and in-person exams for power engineering and refrigeration at our offices in Langley, Fort St. John, Prince George, and Kelowna.
View our 2021 exams schedules:
If your exam was postponed or waitlisted, expect a call from us soon.
We are accepting new bookings. Book your certification exam today.
Contact us for any questions.
Book an evaluation
- Submit evaluation form along with plant operating experience form to any Technical Safety BC office. Provide supporting documents for evaluation and to apply for credits for reduction of qualifying work experience.
- Make payment for evaluation.
- Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- You will receive your evaluation confirmation letter by email or mail (depending on preference indicated). This can take up to five business days after receipt of the completed application form.
- Once the exam and evaluation steps are completed, you will receive your certification, wall certificate and wallet card. Contact us if you have not received any notification within four weeks of submitting the evaluation application.
Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.
All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, need to be renewed in order to remain valid.
New printed wall certificate
We’ve redesigned your wall certificate (see example) which you can now view, download, and print when you log into your online account. If you do not have an online account, please register for a new account. To download and print your certificate you must:
- Login to and click “Certifications” on the left navigation.
- Click on the certification number associated with recent renewal.
- In “Certification Details” section, scroll down to the section called “Attachments”.
- Open the attachment containing “Wall Certificate” to view, save, or print, your new wall certificate.
In addition, you can also order a professionally printed at a cost of $68 which includes mailing cost. The professionally printed wall certificate will be on heavier paper and includes foil stamps.
To get your certificate professionally printed please submit the completed form to our Contact Centre. Once the form is processed, we will contact you to pay for the printed wall certificate. Applications sent in via email will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and ship, mail application times are longer.
Please also bear in mind that this certificate is only valid when accompanied with your valid wallet card and that your wallet card is proof of your certificate of qualification.
If you are a power engineer and you have lost your certificate or you need a replacement, please fill out this form:
There is a fee for replacement certificates.