Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer Use of Code Books For Exams.
The certification process for refrigeration and boiler technicians, and power engineers, requires candidates to clear a certification exam as well as an evaluation. Both steps are independent of each other and candidates can apply for either process at any stage, provided all prerequisites have been met.
Certification will be awarded only if the candidate successfully meets all of the following requirements:
- Completes technical education or meets the minimum requirements of particular class of qualification.
- Completes required qualifying time or work experience.
- Applies for evaluation of the above two steps
- Successfully clears the relevant certificate of qualification exam(s).
Candidates with Canadian qualifications from outside BC or from another country can refer to details on the certification process here.
For more details, refer to pages pertaining to your particular certification class, which provide details on specific certification requirements.
To Book an Exam
- Submit the completed application form along with proof that you meet the minimum requirement for that class of exam. Photocopies of proof of qualification are acceptable.
- Make payment. Only applicants who have submitted complete documentation and have passed the review are eligible for the exam. They will receive a call for this step. This can take up to five business days after the receipt of the completed application form.
- Receive your exam confirmation letter by email or mail (depending on preference indicated).
- Sit for your exam (remember to bring government issued photo identification when you write your exam).
- Receive your exam results (by mail or email depending on the preference you have indicated).
To Book an Evaluation
- Submit evaluation form along with plant operating experience form to any Technical Safety BC office. Provide supporting documents for evaluation and to apply for credits for reduction of qualifying work experience.
- Make payment for evaluation.
- Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- You will receive your evaluation confirmation letter by email or mail (depending on preference indicated). This can take up to five business days after receipt of the completed application form.
- Once the exam and evaluation steps are completed, you will receive your certification, wall certificate and wallet card. Contact us if you have not received any notification within four weeks of submitting the evaluation application.
Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.
All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, need to be renewed in order to remain valid.
If you are a power engineer and you have lost your certificate or you need a replacement, please fill out this form:
There is a fee for replacement certificates.