Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer Use of Code Books For Exams.
An ice facility operator certificate of qualification entitles the holder to operate an ice facility plant that:
- does not exceed 1,000 kW prime mover nameplate rating; and
- has a refrigeration operator or a fourth class power engineer as the chief engineer of the plant.
To obtain certification, candidates must successfully pass required exams and get evaluated. An application for evaluation can be made at any stage of certification provided you meet all the prerequisites.
Book an exam
- Submit completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites.
- Check information on exam schedules in the section below.
- Pay fees on receiving call from Technical Safety BC.
- Applications and fees must be received and approved before the registration cut-off date in order to reserve an examination date. This is subject to availability of seats. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- Receive exam confirmation letter by mail or email. If you have not received your confirmation letter a week prior to your tentative schedules date please contact Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233.
- Applicants must pass a 3.5-hour (multiple choice) exam with a minimum score of 65%.
Book an evaluation
- Submit your completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites. This can be done via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at any Technical Safety BC office.
- Pay fees on receiving a call from Technical Safety BC.
Note: Certificate is issued upon successful completion of certification exams as well as evaluation.
Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.
All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, are invalid. If you hold an invalid certificate, you are not legally permitted to work or practice. Learn how to reinstate your certification.
Order a printed wall certificate
Get your wall certificate professionally printed at a cost of $68 which includes mailing. To get your certificate professionally printed please submit the completed form to email@example.com. Once the form is processed, we will contact you to pay for the printed wall certificate. Please bear in mind that this certificate is only valid when accompanied with your wallet card. Your wallet card is proof of your certificate of qualification.
- Successful completion of an approved ice facility operator's course. Refer here for a list of approved courses and course providers.
- Logbook signed by a chief engineer showing 30 days of work experience.
- Be employed at, and have experience in the operation of an ice facility plant for a period of not less than 30 days.
Refer to Safety Regulation for more information.