An oil well boiler operator certificate of qualification entitles the holder to operate a power plant that:
- is operating on a portable oil rig or drilling site;
- does not exceed 100 m2 of boiler capacity; and
- is named on the certificate of qualification.
To get certified, candidates have to successfully pass required exams and complete evaluation. Application for either process can be made at any stage of certification provided all prerequisites have been met.
Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer Use of Code Books For Exams.
Book an exam
- Submit completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites.
- Check information on exam schedules in the section below.
- Pay fees on receiving call from Technical Safety BC.
- Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- Receive exam confirmation letter by mail or email. If you have not received your confirmation letter a week prior to your tentative schedules date please contact Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233.
- Applicants must pass a 3.5-hour (multiple choice) exam with 65%.
We are actively scheduling online exams for electrical, gas, and elevating and in-person exams for power engineering and refrigeration at our offices in Langley, Fort St. John, Prince George, and Kelowna.
If your exam was postponed or waitlisted, expect a call from us soon.
We are accepting new bookings. Book your certification exam today.
Contact us for any questions.
Book an evaluation
- Submit your completed application for evaluation, along with clear copies of prerequisites. This can be done via email to email@example.com or in person at any Technical Safety BC office.
- Pay fees on receiving a call from Technical Safety BC.
Note: Certificate of qualification is issued only upon successful completion of certification exams as well as evaluation.
Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.
All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, are invalid. If you hold an invalid certificate, you are not legally permitted to work or practice. Learn how to reinstate your certification.
Order a printed wall certificate
Get your wall certificate professionally printed at a cost of $68 which includes mailing. To get your certificate professionally printed please submit the completed form to our Contact Centre. Once the form is processed, we will contact you to pay for the printed wall certificate. Applications sent in via email will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and ship, mail application times are longer. Please also bear in mind that this certificate is only valid when accompanied with your valid wallet card and that your wallet card is proof of your certificate of qualification.