View more info for:

Important Notice

Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer Use of Code Books For Exams.


A power engineer fourth class certificate of qualification entitles the holder to work as:

  • chief engineer of a plant with a corresponding or lower class; or
  • shift engineer of a plant up to one class higher than the class of the certificate; or
  • a person in charge of any type or size of refrigeration plant.

Certification Process

To get certified, candidates have to successfully pass required exams and evaluation. Application for evaluation can be made at any stage of certification provided you meet all the prerequisites.

To Book an Exam

  1. Submit completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites.
  2. Check information on exam schedules in the Resources section, below.
  3. Pay fees on receiving call from Technical Safety BC.
  4. Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
  5. Receive exam confirmation letter by mail or email. If you have not received your confirmation letter, a week prior to your tentative scheduled date, please contact Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233.

To Book an Evaluation

  1. Submit your completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites and proof for any qualifying time credit signed by the chief engineer / company official; this can be done online or to any Technical Safety BC office.
  2. Pay fees on receiving a call from Technical Safety BC.

Certificate Renewal

Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.

All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, need to be renewed in order to remain valid.

Read the FAQ

Learn more about renewing your power engineer or BPVR certificate



  • third class marine engineer (motor) certificate of competency; or
  • be the holder of an approved fourth class power engineering course; or
  • be the holder of an approved engineering degree and have been employed; or
  • a one year full-time fourth class power engineering course (no qualifying time required).



  • be employed for a period of not less than six months as a power engineer in a fifth class plant in a position requiring a fifth class power engineer's certificate of qualification; or
  • be employed for a period of not less than six months as a power engineer trainee in:
    a power plant that exceeds 10 sq. m of boiler capacity; or
    a steam heating plant that exceeds 30 sq. m. of boiler capacity; or
    a fluid heating plant or low pressure thermal fluid plant that exceeds 150 sq. m. of boiler capacity; or
    a low temperature low pressure fluid plant that exceeds 300 sq. m. of boiler capacity.


  • have experience, for a period of at least 18 months, acceptable to a provincial safety manager in the operation, design, construction, repair, or maintenance of equipment to which this regulation applies; and
  • have successfully completed an approved fourth class power engineering course or provide proof of having an equivalent technical educational background that is approved by a provincial safety manager.

Refer to safety regulation for more information.



Candidates need to pass the following two (multiple choice) exams, of 3.5-hours each, with 65% marks. All details on the subject areas of study and general exam information can be viewed in the syllabus of Fourth Class Power Engineer. 

  • 4A1 - Part A
  • 4B1 - Part B

Reference documents

Exam rules

Exam schedules


Approved list of courses and course providers

Exam Locations
By special arrangement, contact Prince George office
Was this page useful to you?