Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer Use of Code Books For Exams.
A refrigeration operator certificate of qualification entitles the holder to to be the person-in-charge of any type and size of refrigeration plant.
To get certified, candidates have to successfully pass required exams and get evaluated. Application for evaluation can be made at any stage of certification provided you meet all the prerequisites.
Book an exam
- Submit completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites.
- Check information on exam schedules in the section below.
- Pay fees on receiving call from Technical Safety BC.
- Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- Receive exam confirmation letter by mail or email. If you have not received your confirmation letter a week prior to your tentative schedules date please contact Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233.
To get certified, applicants must pass a 3.5-hour (multiple choice) exam with 65%.
All details on the subject areas of study and general exam information can be viewed in the syllabus of Refrigeration Operator.
Book an evaluation
- Submit your completed application, along with clear copies of prerequisites. This can be done via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or n person at any Technical Safety BC office.
- Pay fees on receiving a call from Technical Safety BC.
Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.
All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, are invalid. If you hold an invalid certificate, you are not legally permitted to work or practice. Learn how to reinstate your certification.
Order a printed wall certificate
Get your wall certificate professionally printed at a cost of $68 which includes mailing. To get your certificate professionally printed please submit the completed form to our Contact Centre. Once the form is processed, we will contact you to pay for the printed wall certificate. Applications sent in via email will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and ship, mail application times are longer. Please also bear in mind that this certificate is only valid when accompanied with your valid wallet card and that your wallet card is proof of your certificate of qualification.
- qualified refrigeration mechanic (qualifying time not required); or
- successful completion of an approved refrigeration operator’s course; or
- proof of having an equivalent technical educational background that has been approved by a provincial safety manager.
Employed for a period of not less than six months assisting in the operation of a refrigeration plant that uses:
- group A3, B2 or B3 refrigerants and has a capacity of more than 25 kW of prime mover name plate rating; or
- group A1, A2 or B1 refrigerants and has a capacity of more than 125 kW of prime mover name plate rating.
Refer to Safety Regulation for more information.