Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer Use of Code Books For Exams.
A refrigeration safety awareness certificate of qualification entitles the holder to be in attendance to monitor a general supervision or risk assessed status refrigeration plant with a total plant capacity of 1,000 kW or less prime mover nameplate rating.
Note: The certificate holder is not permitted to operate or perform any repairs to the refrigeration plant, but is permitted to shut down the plant or initiate safety procedures when specifically trained and assigned to perform such tasks.
To become certified, candidates must successfully pass required exams and evaluation. Application for evaluation can be made at any stage of certification, provided you meet all the prerequisites.
To Book an Exam
- Submit completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites.
- Check information on exam schedules in the Resources section, below.
- Pay fees on receiving call from Technical Safety BC.
- Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- Receive exam confirmation letter by mail or email. If you have not received your confirmation letter a week prior to your tentative schedules date please contact Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233.
To become certified, applicants must pass a 2.5-hour, multiple choice exam with 65%.
To Book an Evaluation
- Submit your completed application for evaluation along with clear copies of prerequisites. All forms can be submitted online, or to any Technical Safety BC office.
- Pay fees on receiving a call from Technical Safety BC.
Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.
All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, need to be renewed in order to remain valid.
- Safety Standards Act
- Safety Standards General Regulation
- Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation
- Safety orders
- Information bulletins