View more info for:


International qualification, experience, and credentials, gained in the field of boiler operation outside of Canada can be recognized towards a power engineering certificate of qualification

Candidates with Canadian qualifications and/or work experience from outside BC, can refer here for further details.

How to get certified to work in BC?

Applicants need to:

  1. pass an assessment process (provided below); and
  2. pass the applicable certification exams

Note: Assessment for international qualifications is only available for the following certificates of qualification:


Before applying for assessment of international qualifications, assess your eligibility using the list below.

All Classes

  1. Hold a credential that authorizes you to operate boilers in your local jurisdiction. 
  2. Possess a credential that is current and valid in the jurisdiction where it was issued.
  3. Local jurisdiction legal authority (e.g. city, state, country) where you have worked requires recognized credentials to operate boilers.

First Class Power Engineer 

  1. Educational qualifications equivalent to First Class Power Engineer curriculum.
  2. More than six years experience operating a first class boiler plant or equivalent in a position requiring the credential.

Second Class Power Engineer 

  1. Educational qualifications equivalent to Second Class Power Engineer curriculum.
  2. More than 3.5 years experience operating a second class boiler plant or equivalent in a position requiring the credential.

Third Class Power Engineer

  1. Educational qualifications equivalent to Third Class Power Engineer curriculum.
  2. More than 1.5 years experience operating a third class boiler plant or equivalent in a position requiring the credential.

Assessment process for internationally qualified power engineer

  1. Complete the checklist above to assess eligibility.
  2. Submit completed Recognition of International Credentials in Power Engineering Application Form 1584. Applicants outside North America can download pdf version of the form here.
  3. Provide documentation on boiler plant and experienceAll supporting documents have to be in English or translated by an approved translation service.
  4. If you have educational qualifications, submit proof using the services of approved credentialing agenciesAll supporting documents have to be in English or translated by an approved translation service.
  5. Make payment of required fee upon receiving a call from Technical Safety BC. Only applicants who have submitted complete documentation and are eligible for assessment, will receive a call for this step. 
    Note: Fee is non-refundable.

What happens after you apply?

  • Your application will be reviewed for completeness and you may be contacted if additional information is required.
  • Your competency assessments will be conducted by assessors with expertise in power engineering using a standardized criteria framework. Assessor recommendations will be subject to final approval by the provincial safety manager. You will be informed of the results through postal mail or email.
  • If your application is successful, you will be informed of the procedure to schedule the exam.
  • In order to obtain your certificate of qualification, you will have to write the applicable exams, in person, within one year of the date of the evaluation decision.
  • On successfully completing all the applicable certification exams, you will be issued the certificate of qualification.

Frequently Asked Questions on Internationally Trained Worker. For more information contact Technical Safety BC.


Changes to the BC’s Safety Standards General Regulation (SSGR) permit the recognition of internationally-trained worker qualifications in the field of power engineering. Internationally trained workers are the equivalent power engineering credential holders in the foreign jurisdiction.

Who are power engineers?

A power engineer is a technically skilled and knowledgeable professional who is certified and responsible to safely and efficiently operate equipment and processes that are regulated by boiler and pressure vessel legislation. Power engineers work in a wide variety of industrial and commercial facilities, which may include operations with several large boilers, steam and gas turbines, pressure vessels, and the whole range of related equipment.

Note: Power engineering is also referred to as a field of electrical engineering, but the power engineering referred to in this document and the regulation is the field of boiler and pressure equipment operation. View an explanation on power engineering by the Institute of Power Engineers.


A power engineer certificate of qualification entitles the holder to be:

  • chief engineer of a boiler plant with a corresponding or lower class;
  • shift engineer of a boiler plant up to one class higher than the class of the certificate; or
  • Person-in-charge of any type or size of refrigeration plant.

Acceptable Boiler Operator Credentials

International government issued boiler related qualifications or certificates that are equivalent to BC power engineering credentials will be accepted by Technical Safety BC. The regulation requires that the credential is current and valid, and must be required by the jurisdiction to operate the equivalent boiler plant.

Examples of credentials or certifications:

  • stationary engineer
  • steam engineer
  • boiler operator
  • operating engineer
  • power plant operator
  • steam plant operator

Note: If your credential is not required to operate boilers by the jurisdiction with legal authority (e.g. city, state, country), it will not be  accepted.

Acceptable training and education documents

For getting educational equivalency to the appropriate power engineering curriculum evaluated, submit:

  1. Credentials required by your jurisdiction with legal authority; and
  2. Additional educational documents, certifications, or qualifications that are not required by the jurisdiction with authority.

Examples: Post-secondary technical institute certificates, diplomas or degrees that can establish educational equivalency to the appropriate power engineering curriculum.

Credential Evaluation

All educational documents need to be assessed by one of the following institutions:

All supporting document will ONLY be accepted in English. 

Approved translation service providers

Boiler plant classifications

Refer here for information on boiler plant classifications.

Boiler plant experience documentation

Provide the following information about boiler plant and experience:

  • Boiler plant name
  • Address
  • Type
  • Capacity (m2)
  • Position held
  • Qualifying time (months)
  • Start date
  • Supervisor name & contact information
  • Letter(s) of employments stating:
    • job responsibilities and type of boiler equipment operated, including the duties and responsibilities performed for a minimum period covering the last 7 years of employment.
    • duties and responsibilities of all the positions worked
    • company web site information for evaluation of the experience
    • supervisor name and contact information
Was this page useful to you?