FSR Certification Renewal
Electrical FSR renewal requirements for certificate holders
All electrical field safety representative (FSR) certificates must be renewed as per the table below:
Electrical FSR certificates of qualification that have not been renewed by the applicable deadline will be expired. FSRs with expired certificates cannot be named on licences and permits, or submit declarations of compliance.
How to renew your certificate
To make renewal easy and accessible, you can complete and submit the certificate renewal form online through your online services account.
Step by Step:
1. Login to your online services account or register for an account.
2. Once in your account, click on 'Certifications' in the left panel on the screen.
3. Locate your most recent active certification and click 'Renew'.
4. Fill out the requested information. Please update your address and contact details if needed as this is where your wallet card will be sent.
5. Review your submission for accuracy and submit the completed form. Your renewal will be processed after we have reviewed your application.
6. Upon approval, you will receive an email notification and will be issued a temporary certificate. This document will be your certificate until a wallet card is mailed to you.
7. You will receive by mail a durable, security-enhanced wallet card. Your digital wall certificate will be available online. Your certificate will expire on your date of birth every three years.
Refer to our How To Guide for detailed steps and images on how to renew.
How to print your wall certificate
Your digital wall certificate will be available for printing through your online account.
- Login to your online services account.
- Click on 'Certifications' in the left panel on the screen.
- Click on the certification number associated with your recent renewal.
- In the 'Certification Details' section, scroll down to the section called ‘Attachments’.
- Open the attachment containing ‘Wall Certificate’ to view, save, or print, your renewed certificate of qualification.
Importance of renewing your certificate
Electrical FSR certificates of qualification that have not been renewed before 12:01 am on August 1, 2019 will be considered expired. FSRs with expired certificates cannot be named on licences and permits, assess compliance with codes and regulations, or submit declarations of compliance.
Contractors or asset owners who do not have an FSR with a valid certificate named on their licence or permit may be impacted until their FSR renews their certification or another certified FSR is named. For example, contractors will not be able to continue performing electrical work and will no longer be able to take out installation permits and asset owners may no longer be able to continue to legally operate electrical equipment.
Knowledge update requirements
Electrical Field Safety Representatives (FSRs) certification renewals prior to 2021 do not require knowledge updates.
For renewals in 2021 and after, FSRs will need to provide proof of up-to-date knowledge on the electric code, Act and regulations by completing either:
- a Technical Safety BC online assessment on the current adopted electric code, Act and regulations; or
- eight hours of training on the current adopted electric code, Act and regulations through Technical Safety BC or a Technical Safety BC-approved course. Read more about knowledge update requirements.