Elevating Devices Mechanic - Skills Passport
Every certified elevating devices mechanic and mechanic-in-training (MIT) is issued a personal skills passport by Technical Safety BC.
The Skills Passport must be retained and updated by the certified individual throughout their career. It provides evidence of a mechanic's competence to perform work on elevating devices regulated by Technical Safety BC.
Value of a Skills Passport
- Outlines, in practical terms, the different achievement criteria required within each area of competency.
- Mirrors a mechanic's capabilities and experience in Technical Safety BC’s database.
- A means of verifying an individual’s competence to work on specific elevating devices or elevating systems.
- Provides evidence of the individual’s ability to work unsupervised in a particular area of the elevating industry.
- Serves as a guideline for employers to identify areas for additional training.
For more details, see:
- Elevator Mechanic Skills Passport
- Sample - Class A Passport
- Sample - Class C Passport
- Sample - Class H Passport
Updating your Skills Passport
You can update your Skills Passport information at any time with Technical Safety BC.
It's ideal to submit the paperwork with your certification renewal. This way the renewed documents will reflect the most recently achieved scope of work endorsements.
- Ensure your Skills Passport is up-to-date by:
- obtaining sign-off by an elevating devices mechanic who already holds the scope for, and has witnessed you perform the task(s). Refer: Section 9, Workplace Achievement Criterion, on your skills passport.
- obtaining the signature of your designated signing officer in Section 8: Verification of Experience by Type of Elevating Device, on your skills passport.
- Submit paperwork to Technical Safety BC. This should include:
- Completed Elevating Devices Mechanic Passport Replacement/Update Form
- Class-specific application form - Class A, Class C, Class H Note: Section C to be completed by the designated signing officer
Note: There is NO requirement to submit your physical skills passport to Technical Safety BC.
- You may be requested to show your physical skills passport for verification purposes at any time.
Lost, stolen, or damaged your Skills Passport?
- Provide clear pictures/photocopies of each of the signed-off passport pages (where available).
- Submit a completed Elevating Devices Mechanic Passport Replacement/Update Form
- Submit a class-specific application form - Class A, Class C, Class H
- Note: Section C to be completed by the designated signing officer.
- You will be contacted for a fee payment and the new passport will be mailed to you by registered mail.
Roles and Responsibilities
The passport holder maintains the passport and is responsible for:
- ensuring their passport is up-to-date;
- working within the scope of their passport; and
- seeking experience in relevant areas of the workplace.
The Certified Mechanic is responsible for:
- observing the certified individual/passport holder carry out specific achievement criteria; and
- verifying that the certified individual/passport holder has successfully completed specific achievement criteria without aid.
A designated signing officer is a person who acts on behalf of the licensed contractor to verify that the Skills Passport holder has successfully completed the required criteria in order to be signed off on a particular class of type of elevating device.
The licensed contractor is the passport holder’s employer who ensures that:
- employees are trained and are competent in the work they are assigned to;
- employees work within the scope of their Skills Passport; and
- employees work under the appropriate level of supervision by a certified elevator mechanic when completing achievement criteria.
Technical Safety BC is responsible for:
- administering the Elevator Mechanic Certification program;
- examining candidates for certification as an Elevator Mechanic;
- certifying an Elevator Mechanic is eligible to work in the Province of BC; and
- taking appropriate enforcement action as required.