Design registration for boilers
Boilers are registered in accordance with CSA B51 ‘Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Pressure Piping Code’. The standards governing the design and construction of boilers and pressure vessels are the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes except as otherwise detailed in CSA B51 or the regulation.
To register a design:
- Submit a completed design registration application form (CRN/PRN/BCLD).
- Provide documentation to verify that the design conforms to the applicable code/requirement. Refer to checklist here.
- For more than one design, please complete a separate application and collate documents by design.
- Only one set of drawings, calculations and application form is required for each design.
- Submit paper copy of the application, by mail or in person, to our Vancouver office. Mark the envelope - Attn: Engineering Design Registration.
Note: Incomplete application packages will not be processed.
Additional documents required to complete a reciprocal registration.
- A completed boiler CRN supplement form.
- Proof of initial registration with a Canadian regulatory authority (Example: TSSA, ABSA).
Design registration process followed by Technical Safety BC
- The design registration package will be reviewed to verify that all requirements have been met.
- Upon satisfactory review, the vessel design shall be assigned a Canadian Registration Number (CRN).
- A registration letter indicating the CRN, date of registration, manufacturer’s name, description of the vessel, drawing numbers, conditions and any other pertinent information will be sent to the applicant.
- A separate invoice will be forwarded for the fee (See Fees below).
- The average time for completing the design registration process is 20 to 30 business days, upon receiving a completed application.
Note: No other documents will be stamped or returned to the applicant.
Step 1: Obtain an installation permit
If the boiler equipment includes a gas component, a gas installation permit may be required. Contact us for more details.
Boiler installation permit: Licensed contractors and owners need a permit before they install, operate, or perform maintenance on boilers and refrigeration systems that meet certain specifications. See here for more details.
Gas installation permit: Licensed contractors working with natural and manufactured gas, liquefied petroleum gas, hydrogen, digester gas, landfill gas, or a mixture or dilution of gasses, need to apply for a permit before they install regulated gas equipment, or gas systems.A permit is required to install and operate a boiler. Refer here for information on
Step 2: Request an inspection
To request an inspection request, refer to
Forms and fees
- Design registration application form (CRN/PRN/BCLD)
- Boiler CRN supplement form - Reciprocal
- Checklist - required documents
- Pneumatic testing
- Adopted Codes & Standards
- Regulatory notices
Mail or submit paper copy application to our Vancouver office. Mark the envelope - Attn: Engineering Design Registration.
For more information or clarification email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Email submissions will not be accepted.