Gas Homeowner Permits

Homeowners doing gas installations require a permit before they begin. Please note that some municipalities issue their own gas permits. Review jurisdiction information before you begin.

Before planning any new work, it's also good to review the Homeowner Information Guide that provides details on gas safety regulations and codes that are applicable in the province of British Columbia.

When is a gas permit needed?

  • Installing or replacing all gas appliances such as a furnace, water heater, fireplace, boiler, range or cooktop
  • Installing or replacing gas piping or vent systems
  • Installing built-in gas barbecues

Replacing an existing plug-in style gas barbecue does NOT require a permit.

Applying for your gas permit

To apply for a gas permit, you must complete the Homeowner Gas Permit Application Form and submit it, along with payment, to a Technical Safety BC office.

In addition, you must request that a safety officer inspect your work. The inspection request process will also include an Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Hazard Identification checklist.

For details on permit fees, please see the Homeowner gas permit fee schedule.

Inspections of your work

Technical Safety BC will inspect your work. You must request this inspection by completing the Gas Homeowner Inspection Request form.

Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Hazard Identification Checklist

Included in the Gas Homeowner Inspection Request Form 1547 are questions that are designed to identify potential Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) conditions such as respiratory hazards that may exist in your home. Examples of potential OHS hazards include: asbestos, mold, lead, Hanta virus (mouse droppings), silica or chemical or gas leaks.

The checklist will help you identify OHS risks that you may be unaware of and provide additional information regarding specific hazards e.g. asbestos. By taking the time to review these questions, you can be better informed about potential hazards in your home or if necessary seek the advice of a qualified professional to perform a hazard assessment to ensure that your home is free of hazards. The checklist will also allow our safety officers to safely conduct an inspection of your site.

Owners of other types of buildings

Owners of a strata, non-strata duplex or home with legal suites, and those operating a business from their home, cannot obtain homeowner permits and must hire a licensed contractor to perform legal, permitted work. For more information, please read the Homeowner Scope of Work Directive in the Gas Regulations section.

Was this page useful to you?