Inspect your derails
A railway derail is a safety device designed to prevent unauthorized movement of railway equipment which can potentially harm workers, the public, and equipment.
Technical Safety BC recommends that railways using derails in their operation perform an inspection of all derails to ensure that the following are met:
- All track components are compliant with the Rules Respecting Track Safety.
- The derail meets and is compliant with:
- Manufacturer’s specifications;
- Canadian Railway Operating Rules (CROR), Rule 104.5 Derails; and
- Rules Respecting Track Safety PART II SUBPART E (II).
- The derail selected is suitable for your train operation.
Proper installation and maintenance of derails support safe railway operations. If you need more safety information about derails, email firstname.lastname@example.org.