Regulatory amendment creates new classifications for pressure welder certificates of qualification and requires a physical inspection prior to a declaration
Technical Safety BC understands that regulation changes may cause some disruption. These regulations enhance our safety system – making it safer for workers, the public and our technical systems. Rest assured, we are working on processes to implement these changes as smoothly as possible – and we will support you as we implement these changes. More information will be shared as soon as these are available.
Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation, the Electrical Safety Regulation, the Elevating Devices Safety Regulation, the Gas Safety Regulation, and the Safety Standards General Regulation, was signed and deposited., which amends the
While the order largely focuses on fixing legacy issues within the regulations, it also provides two significant changes:
- New classifications for pressure welder certificates of qualification
- A requirement that persons signing a declaration must have physically inspected the work and confirms its compliance to regulations.
The amendments will come into effect in two stages:
Effective August 31, 2018
- New class of contractor licence is created for pressure welders.
- Persons signing a declaration required by regulation or the Safety Standards Act must have physically inspected the work and believe it complies.
- Registered designs found to be defective must no longer be used or installed.
- Names of manufacturers must be submitted with registered designs.
- Refrigeration and Boiler Safety Awareness certificates of qualification will now be issued without naming a specific plant on the certification, and certified individuals will require plant safety training prior to starting work.
- Plant owners must keep lists of certified individuals, work, duties, and Certificates of Qualification.
Effective December 3, 2019
- New pressure welder certificate of qualification system comes into force.
Technical Safety BC will work on developing related processes to make the amendments operational. More information will be shared as regulatory notices and operational processes are developed.