Ski Lift Safety
Passenger behaviour is by far the greatest source of lift-related injury in BC, with 60% of incidents resulting from inappropriate or unruly passenger activity.
Here are some simple safety tips for skiers and snowboarders to follow:
- Leave the bar down until you see the "Raise Restraining Device" sign.
- Sit back against the back rest while in motion.
- Put away your cellphone, cameras or mobile devices.
- Secure your things when you see the "Prepare to Unload" sign.
- Watch for and follow the signs.
- Do not lift or leave the restraining bar up while riding.
- Do not drop things off the chairlift.
- Do not lean forward or adjust your boots, skis, or snowboard.
- Do not attempt to touch trees or towers.
- If you are wearing a backpack, consider taking it off and holding on the front of your body as you sit on the chairlift; straps can get caught in equipment.
- Keep your safety bar down.