NOTE: If you are seeking information for use in legal proceedings please review our policy on Release of Information for use in Legal Proceedings.
Informal requests are used to access previously-published Technical Safety BC printed information. These include brochures, annual reports, forms or lists of licensed contractors. To request these items, please call 1 866 566 7233 or email email@example.com. There is no charge for informal requests.
Freedom of Information (FOI) requests
Technical Safety BC is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and must ensure that any requests for information that may contain third party or personal information are reviewed to ensure compliance with FIPPA prior to disclosure. Types of information that require an FOI request include where information isn’t routinely made available to the public. Examples include permits, certificates of inspection, compliance orders, complaints or violations, licensing and qualifications.
Technical Safety BC will respond to your request within 30 days of receipt. In our response we’ll detail the next steps and, if applicable, the fees involved in processing your request. If your request is complex and needs longer than 30 days to process, we’ll send you a completion estimate with our initial response.
- Print and complete the top part of the Request for Information Form 1003 (use additional sheets if required).
- Email the completed form to FOI@technicalsafetybc.ca or mail to:
Technical Safety BC
Attn: Records, Information and Privacy Analyst
Suite 600 - 2889 East 12th Avenue
Vancouver , British Columbia, Canada
Property Due Diligence Searches
This type of search involves obtaining information about a property's history of performance of regulated permitted work and outstanding fees, with the current owner's authorization. This request is typically requested by a potential purchaser of a property through a legal representative/firm and/or from the selling real estate agent. Requests must include the following:
- Formal request letter
- Signed authorization form
- Required fee payment
Requests should be submitted to any of our offices.
- To confirm the existence of permits or inspections generated in 2013 or later, you may view the information online through our Permit Search. For those before 2013, please call 1 866 566 7233. Note: Technical Safety BC does not issue electrical and gas permits in all jurisdictions. View the exceptions.
- If copies of the document are required, a formal Request For Information must be submitted. (See above)
- To avoid delays, requests should be submitted as soon as a property is listed or to be listed.
- Requests are processed in the order in which they are received.
|Retrieving a record (after the first 3 hours)||$30 per hour|
|Producing a record (including copying time)||$30 per hour|
|Preparing a record for disclosure and handling charges||$30 per hour|
|Shipping a record||At cost|
|Copying a record - Either on photocopy or black & white laser printout||$0.25 per page (8.5" x 11")|
|$0.30 per page (8.5" x 14")|
|$0.50 per page (11" x 17")|
|Copying a record - Colour laser printout (digital photographs)||$1.50 per page (8.5" x 11")|
|$1.75 per page (8.5" x 14")|
|Copying a record:|
|Compact discs||At cost|
|Photographs (colour or black & white)||At cost|
|Drawings or plans (Oversized, larger than tabloid)||At cost|