2019 Technical Safety BC Alumni Association Scholarships
Technical Safety BC's Alumni Association holds an annual scholarship competition. The competition provides $2,500 scholarships each to two students enrolled full-time or part-time in an accredited post-secondary institution.
Application deadline: Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 11:59 pm
Who is eligible?
Persons eligible to apply for these scholarships must be:
- a current or former Technical Safety BC employee or immediate family member *; and
- enrolled full-time or part-time in an accredited post-secondary institution in 2019.
We encourage past applicants who have not yet received a scholarship to apply again if they are enrolled in a post-secondary institution.
* Immediate family member" is defined as an employee's parent, spouse, child/stepchild/grandchild, brother, sister, niece, nephew, father-in-law, mother-in-law, daughter in-law, son in-law. It includes those immediate family members of past Technical Safety BC or BC Safety Authority employees, living or deceased.
Who is not eligible?
- Current and past officers of the organization (i.e., executive or board members and their immediate family).
- Technical Safety BC employees or co-op students receiving tuition aid from Technical Safety BC for a course or program are ineligible to apply for the Alumni Scholarship for the same course or program.
- Technical Safety BC Alumni scholarship recipients within the past two calendar years.
Detailed Criteria for 2019
- Applicants must provide proof of enrolment in an accredited post-secondary institution, in the form of a letter from the post-secondary institution showing proof of registration.
- Applicants must submit a 1,000 word essay answering the question: “Describe how technical safety affects your family, friends or community.”
The Scholarship Review Committee will consider the following in the assessment of your essay:
- Is the scenario presented understandable?
- Is the submission in clear, understandable language?
- Would others understand/relate to the scenario?
- Does the scenario explain the outcome of the interaction?
- Are there any suggestions on how to improve the interactions?
Any questions about applications should be emailed to: email@example.com. with the subject line "Scholarship question." In fairness to all applicants, only administrative questions will be answered.
Only scholarship winners will be contacted and may have their names and photos appear on our website and in other publications.
Essay Scoring Criteria
All information identifying the author is removed from the essay so that it is anonymous to the Review Committee members. The following are the criteria that the Scholarship Application Review Committee will use to score essays in 2019:
- Essay length: 1,000 words, plus or minus 100
- Spelling and grammar
- Organization and presentation of ideas
- Description of effective communication
- Breadth of thinking
- Depth of analysis