Elevating Directive: Periodic Tests Declarations
This Directive is being issued by a provincial safety manager pursuant to section 30 of the Safety Standards Act.
Date of Issue: March 3, 2011
Pursuant to the Elevating Devices Safety Regulations (EDSR), Section 30 of the Safety Standards Act and applicable Safety Codes; this Directive specifies the intervals at which the relevant Periodic Tests Declarations must be submitted to the BCSA.
As stated in section 23 of the EDSR, this Directive applies to elevating devices for which the adopted code(s) or standard(s) applicable to that elevating device requires the performance of car and counterweight safety tests, governor overspeed tests and governor pull through tests.
This Directive is not a replacement of Safety Code examination and testing intervals. Periodic Tests Declarations are used for the purposes of compliance monitoring.
This Directive is in effect immediately.
1. Examination and Testing of Elevators, Dumbwaiters, LULAs, & Material lifts
Examination and Testing of Electric Elevators, Hydraulic Elevators, Dumbwaiters, LULA Elevators and Material Lifts must comply with the requirements of section 4 of the CSA B44.2-07 & section 8.6.12 of the CSA B44-07.
Electric Elevator Periodic Tests Declarations (for Elevators, Dumbwaiters, LULAs & Material Lifts) must be submitted to the BCSA every 5th year. URL: http://www.safetyauthority.ca/form-1209
Hydraulic Elevator Periodic Tests Declarations (for Elevators, Dumbwaiters, LULAs & Material Lifts) must be submitted to the BCSA every 5th year. URL: http://www.safetyauthority.ca/form-1205
2. Examination and Testing of Escalators & Moving Walks
Examination and Testing of Escalators & Moving Walks must comply with the requirements of section 5 of the CSA B44.2-07 & section 8.6.12 of the CSA B44-07.
Escalators/Moving Walks Periodic Tests Declarations must be submitted to the BCSA every 2nd year. URL: http://www.safetyauthority.ca/form-1109
3. Examination and Testing of Lifts for Persons with Physical Disabilities
Examination and Testing of Lifts for persons with physical disabilities must comply with the requirement of the CSA B355-00 Supplement No. 1 Appendix B.
Handicapped Lift Periodic Tests Declarations must be submitted to the BCSA every 3rd year. URL: http://www.safetyauthority.ca/form-1110
4. The Periodic Tests Declarations must be submitted by email to the BCSA (email address: email@example.com) with the subject line Periodic Declaration. Each Periodic Tests Declaration must be saved individually with the file name referencing the BCSA Unit Number. Multiple files can be attached and submitted in one email. Older version of the declarations will not be accepted and will be returned back to sender.
5. The signature(s) on the Periodic Tests Declarations constitutes a legally binding representation that the work therein referred to is completed and complies to all applicable regulations, codes and standards.
Provincial Safety Manager - Elevating Devices
References: B.C. 2003 C.39 Safety Standards Act
B.C. Reg. 101/2004 Elevating Devices Safety Regulation
For more information on the British Columbia Safety Authority, please visit our web site at: www.safetyauthority.ca