Carbon monoxide exposure from incorrect installation of propane-fueled water heater
August 3, 2020
Regulated industry sector: Gas - Propane system
Injury description: Two individuals deceased
Injury rating: Fatal
Incident rating: Severe
Two individuals were found inside a shower building on a recreational property unresponsive. The building was equipped with a propane-fueled on-demand tankless water heater. The water heater was installed inside a small shower building. The heater vented combustion products into the building where it also received its combustion air supply, producing high levels of carbon monoxide as the combustion air was consumed.