CO exposure sends two individuals to the hospital
August 30, 2021
Location: 100 Mile House
Regulated industry sector: Gas - Natural gas system
A natural gas fireplace with a continuous pilot was installed in a mobile home. Even though the fireplace was not being used, the continuous pilot was left on and CO was drawn into the space from a failed seal in the firebox. The incident most likely occurred due to a portable air conditioner causing building depressurization combined with lack of maintenance and improper installation.