Carbon Monoxide from Furnace Sends Two to Hospital

Incident Investigation

Carbon Monoxide from Furnace Sends Two to Hospital

February 8, 2023


Reference Number:


Location: Abbotsford, BC
Regulated industry sector: Gas – Natural gas system


Incident Overview

Two occupants in a residential home were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) and sent to the hospital as one occupant lost consciousness. It was found that the manifold gas pressure on their 54 year-old furnace was set at higher than the maximum allowable pressure specified by the manufacturer. Incomplete combustion produced high levels of CO. Interior building layout, blower fan operation, and openings in the return air ducting caused back-drafting and recirculation of the furnace’s flue gasses containing CO to spread throughout the home.

2370.06 KB