Deterioration of natural gas fired make-up appliance results in explosion and gas leak
January 22, 2020
Regulated industry sector: Gas - Natural gas system
Deterioration of a natural gas fired make-up air appliance installed on the rooftop of a strip mall resulted in an explosion within the appliance. The appliance was installed for a small restaurant’s exhaust system and did not receive maintenance based on the manufacturer’s recommendations. The explosion damaged the appliance and released a large amount of natural gas outdoors, nearby occupants and businesses were evacuated.