Low Voltage Relay Overheats, Causing Fire

Incident Investigation

Low Voltage Relay Overheats, Causing Fire

January 31, 2023


Reference Number:

II-1503013-2023 (#31232)

Location: Vancouver
Regulated industry sector: Electrical - Low voltage electrical system (30V to 750V)


Incident Overview

A low voltage relay used to protect loads against voltage drops was installed in a baseboard heater junction box. The relay overheated, resulting in a small fire. The cause of the overheating condition was very likely due to the relay not being installed as per the manufacturer’s specifications.

1018.00 KB