Pinched line ruptures, ignites gas

Incident Investigation

Pinched line ruptures, ignites gas

April 7, 2017


Reference Number:


Incident overview

Over time, the low voltage control wiring for the gas valve had been pinching between the Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing ( CSST) gas line and the shell of the stove cabinet. When it finally broke through the wiring insulation, there was an electrical arch to ground, causing the gas to ignite.

Regulated industry sector



Quathiaski Cove

Investigation conclusions

Site, system and components

The electrical wiring and oven control gas line are routed through the same channel in the stove cabinet. When the oven is turned on, there is an electrical current sent to the ignition module and in turn opening the gas valve. When the oven reaches temperature, the valve then shuts off. This cycle is repeated until the oven is turned off.

Failure scenario(s)

The occupant was using the stove to cook dinner. When he turned on the oven, he heard a pop down by his feet, when he looked down, he saw flames coming from under the stove. He ran outside and turned off the gas at the propane tank.

Facts and evidence

Evidence shows that the wiring was being pinched between the CSST gas tubing to the oven control valve, and the sharp metal edge of the stainless steel side panel of the stove(see photos). Over time, the insulation on the wiring wore through to the energized conductor and when it arched to ground, it blew a hole in the tubing and ignited the gas, stating the fire.


  • Injury
    • Qty injuries: None
    • Injury description: N/A
    • Injury rating: None
  • Damage
    • Damage description: Minimal damage to wiring in the immediate vicinity of the fire
    • Damage rating: Minor

Incident rating



1434.57 KB