Portable space heater combined with poor quality conductor termination causes minor damage
October 21, 2021
Location: Hornby Island
Regulated industry sector: Electrical - Low voltage electrical system (30V to 750V)
The occupant of a dwelling noticed a burning smell and light smoke in the living room. The occupant found the source to be a wall receptacle where a portable electric heater was plugged in. The occupant unplugged the heater and called the fire department. A poor conductor termination at the receptacle that had worsened over time caused overheating and melting of the conductor insulation, plastic box, and charring of wood paneling. No one was injured.