Products of combustion exhausted into dwelling

Incident Investigation

Products of combustion exhausted into dwelling

October 19, 2021


Reference Number:

II-1271688-2021 (#24671)

Location: Coquitlam

Regulated industry sector: Gas - Natural gas system

Incident overview

A residential natural gas boiler failed to ignite natural gas on multiple occasions, leading to build up of unburnt gas and explosive detonations at the time of ignition. The vent system was dislodged from the force of the boiler’s delayed ignition detonations, releasing products of combustion -including carbon monoxide- into the residence. During an open house, one person fainted and multiple people reported smelling gas.

901.12 KB