Residential gas fired boiler explodes

Incident Investigation

Residential gas fired boiler explodes

December 10, 2020


Reference Number:

II-1114872-2020 (#20141)

Location: Langley

Regulated industry sector: Gas - Natural gas system

Incident overview

A gas-fired heating boiler in a residential townhome experienced an overpressure condition. The pressure relief valve failed to relieve the excessive pressure, which resulted in an explosion that caused catastrophic damage to the boiler and blew a hole in the drywall ceiling above. A neighbour received a small abrasion to the head by a wall hanging that fell off the wall due to the explosion.

4726.70 KB