Directive: Recognition to administer welder qualification tests
February 15, 2012
This Directive is being issued by a provincial safety manager pursuant to section 30 of the Safety Standards Act.
This directive is being issued to set out the policies for the recognition of an organization or person as competent to administer performance qualification tests for pressure welders in accordance with Section 42 of the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation (the Regulation).
Please download a copy of the directive for your records or bookmark this link for future reference.
A welder, welding operator, brazer or brazing operator who is required to use a BCSA registered welding or brazing procedure must hold a pressure welder’s certificate of qualification. An applicant for a pressure welder’s certificate of qualification must complete a performance qualification test which conforms to the requirements of CSA B51 Boiler, Pressure Vessels and Pressure Piping Code. The applicant must be tested by a person recognized by the provincial safety manager as competent to administer the test or by a BCSA Safety Officer. On successful completion of the test, the welder receives a completed performance qualification record (QB 484, QW-484) which is submitted to the BCSA along with the completed FRM-0802 Registration of Welding Performance Qualification.
An organization or person may make application to a provincial safety manager to be recognized by the Provincial Safety Manager as competent to administer performance qualification tests for pressure welders. The organization or person must provide proof of relevant training, work experience, qualifications and conformity assessment procedures to verify that testing will be administered in conformance to legislative and code requirements.
The applicant shall:
- Submit a completed “Welder Performance Test Administrator Application” form and pay the required fee.
- Submit a Quality Control Manual detailing the scope of work, information on qualification of personnel and test procedures to be performed. The quality control program shall establish that all the requirements of the Regulation, CSA B51 and ASME Section IX will be met. The program shall be suited to the type and complexity of the testing to be administered.
- Have the current publications of the required codes and standards, as outlined in the “scope of work” section in their Quality Control Manual. As a minimum the applicant must have the following publications:
- The Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation
- ASME code section IX
The applicant’s training, work experience, qualifications and quality control manual will be reviewed. After completion of the review, a Safety Officer may make assessments of the applicant’s facility and test procedures to enable the Safety Officer to verify that the quality control program has been established and operates as specified in the quality control manual. On successful completion of the review and assessment the applicant will be granted a Certificate of Recognition verifying that the organization or person is competent to administer performance qualification tests.
Holders of Certificates of Recognition are responsible for updating their quality control programs so that they conform to any changes in codes, standards, or legislation. Failure to comply with the requirements as set out in the Safety Standards Act and Regulations, applicable codes or standards, may result in the suspension or withdrawal of the Certificate of Recognition. The provincial safety manager shall be informed of any address, ownership, organizational or quality control program changes. If an organization certified to administer welder qualification tests is sold the new owner is required to make application for certification as a welder performance test administrator.
The fees for an Welder Performance Test Administrator Application will be based on an hourly professional rate of $144.00, with a minimum charge of five hours, for the review of the applicant’s training, work experience, qualifications and quality control manual and Safety Officer assessment. Certificates of Recognition will be renewed annually on the anniversary date. Welder Performance Test Administrators may be subject to an assessment by the BC Safety Authority at any time.
Edward Hurd P.Eng.
Provincial Safety Manager, Boilers
Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation Application procedure for a pressure welder's certificate of qualification
41. An applicant for a pressure welder's certificate must have successfully completed a performance qualification test that conforms to the requirements of CSA B51.
Requirements for the holder of a pressure welder's certificate of qualification
42. (1) An applicant for a pressure welder's certificate of qualification must provide to a provincial safety manager evidence that the applicant has successfully passed a performance qualification test administered by a person recognized by the provincial safety manager as competent to administer the test.
(2) An individual who holds a certificate of qualification issued under subsection (1) must renew the certificate every 6 months by providing proof to a provincial safety manager that they have worked at the appropriate skill level.