Information Bulletin: Update on amendments to Railway Safety Adopted Provisions Regulations
July 28, 2022
This bulletin provides an update on amendments to the Railway Safety Adopted Provisions Regulation
On June 9, 2022, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure issued a Ministerial Order to update the Railways Safety Adopted Provisions Regulation and adopt new versions of existing federal rules, as follows:
- Canadian Rail Operating Rules (June 30, 2021)
- Rules Respecting Track Safety (December 15, 2021)
- Duty and Rest Period Rules for Railway Operating Employees (November 25, 2020)
Adoption of the Canadian Rail Operating Rules and the Rules Respecting Track Safety come into force upon adoption and are now in effect in British Columbia.
Implementation of the Duty and Rest Period Rules for Railway Operating Employees follows the implementation timeline set out by the federal government, as follows:
- Part D of these Rules comes into effect 12 months after the date on which they are approved by the Minister (June 2023). However, any railway company may voluntarily comply with Part D of these Rules at an earlier date upon notice to the Minister.
- Parts A, B and C, with the exception of section 5, come into effect 30 months (December 2025) for freight railway companies and 48 months (June 2026) for passenger railway companies after the date on which they are approved by the Minister. Section 5 of these Rules comes into effect 24 months after the date on which they are approved by the Minister (June 2024).
If you have any questions regarding regulatory oversight of provincial railways within BC, please contact the Railway Team.
Technical Leader, Railway
Technical Safety BC