All homeowners doing regulated electrical work are required to obtain an electrical homeowner permit before they start work. Please note that some municipalities issue their own electrical permits. Review jurisdiction information before you begin.

Note: Owners of a strata, non-strata duplex, and those operating a business from their home, cannot obtain homeowner permits and must hire a licensed contractor to perform legal, permitted work.

Are you looking to perform gas work in your home? Visit our gas homeowner permit page for more information.


When is an electrical homeowner permit needed?

An electrical homeowner permit is required anytime you do regulated electrical work. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Replacing light fixtures or ceiling fans.
  • Installing or moving light switches or electrical outlets.
  • Installing electrical wiring for renovations, including solar installations.
  • Connecting permanently-installed electrical equipment such as a dishwasher, over-hood microwave, security camera, or heat pump.
  • Moving light switches or electrical outlets.

Note: replacing existing switches, receptacles and electrical outlets do NOT require a permit.


How do you apply for an electrical homeowner permit?

To apply for an electrical homeowner permit you must complete and submit an electrical installation permit either online or by mail to Technical Safety BC:

Note: If you are hiring a licensed electrical contractor to do electrical work in your home, they will pull the permit in their name, under your address. Ask to see the permit before they begin work or use our online tool to confirm one has been pulled.


How do you apply for a temporary construction operating permit?

To apply for a temporary construction operating permit you must complete and submit the following:

Note: Homeowners will soon have the ability to pull a homeowner’s temporary construction operating permit on our online services. In the meantime, you can connect with us at 1 866 566 7233 for support.


When does your work need an inspection?

You must request that a safety officer inspect your electrical work before any wiring is concealed or connected to a supply source. This also applies to any wiring for underground installations or installations that will become encased in concrete.

Homeowners are required to complete and submit the Electrical Homeowner Inspection Request Form 1011 within 180 days of the date the homeowner electrical permit was issued. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to request the inspections, even if no work was completed between the inspections. The completed electrical work must also pass the final physical inspection by a safety officer.

Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Hazard Identification Checklist

Included in the Electrical Homeowner Inspection Request Form 1011 are questions that are designed to identify potential Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) conditions such as respiratory hazards that may exist in your home. Examples of potential OHS hazards include: asbestos, mold, lead, Hanta virus (mouse droppings), silica, or chemical or gas leaks. The checklist will help you identify OHS risks that you may be unaware of and provide additional information regarding specific hazards e.g. asbestos. By taking the time to review these questions, you can be better informed about potential hazards in your home or if necessary seek the advice of a qualified professional to perform a hazard assessment to ensure that your home is free of hazards. The checklist will also allow our safety officers to safely conduct an inspection of your site.